The best word I can think of to lead me through 2021 and beyond is ā€˜surrender.ā€™

If you know me at all I have a strong opinionated personality.Ā  Even to a fault I will stick with what I know until I am shown, with evidence, that another idea or opinion can contribute to my overall understanding.Ā  Now, donā€™t confuse this with arrogance or stubbornness.Ā  It may seem that way, and sometimes it is, but I try hard to appreciate the value of those around me.Ā  I struggle to hear when my understanding is infected by my personal interpretation.

When I disagree with something, it is usually because I have put some serious thought into whatever it is we are discussing.Ā  Perhaps I wont answer and just listen.Ā  Thatā€™s me questioning your intentions with whatever it is your sharing or simply making mental notes to go and find out whether what you said, especially the way you said it, is true or false.Ā  I like this part of my personality and I donā€™t want to change it.

Therefore, I must surrender.Ā  If I donā€™t want to change this part of myself moving into a teaching career, I am not going to be a good teacher or be able to collaborate effectively with my peers and mentors.Ā  Adding authority to a personality characteristic like this, especially one that I donā€™t want to change could be dangerous and cause more harm then good within a classroom of subordinate students.Ā  Pair that dynamic with a quick wit and ability to talk and I will find myself in uncomfortable charged conversations or class discussions.

As Kung Foo master Bruce Lee once said in an interview, ā€œbe like water.ā€Ā  I want to fill the empty space I am in to become a part of that space.Ā  Humbling myself and relinquishing control-to-understand to others around me.Ā  My purpose moving forward in this career, in my life as a father, friend and husband, and as a mentor, peer, or associate is to serve with my knowledge, opinion, quick wit and charisma.Ā  To accept opinion or idea outside of myself and work hard to understand why that person, in this context, holds that perspective.Ā  Iā€™m still going to want evidence, not to dissuade anyone, but because I appreciate the knowledge being shared with me.