Cross-Curricular Reflexive Writing #1

Entering the education program, I assumed the standard lecture, assignment, and exam format.  Maybe some presentations and collaboration mixed in while completing various practicum assessments.  I understood the program was renewed but figured that was just because of the shift towards indigenous ways of knowing and being.  Aspiring to become an educator I wanted to immerse myself in the coursework, but never expected how integrated and symbiotic the learning between classes would be.  I feel like I am being educated the same way I will be learning for the rest of my career.  Now, after nearly a month I am gaining traction while I begin to weave professional standards, and hints of theory and practice, in with overarching themes, like diversity and inclusion, by applying indigenous perspectives.

During entrance into the education program, I knew there was a movement towards inclusive education, and a push to integrate indigenous values and beliefs into curriculum.  What I did not realize was how far the system had evolved from when I graduated.  Remarkably, even with limited knowledge, I am shocked at how slow that change came, and how far away we still are from achieving Truth and Reconciliation.  A movement I never knew existed.  In fact, I had scarcely or never heard of concepts like decolonization, indigenization, First People’s Principles of Learning, or even reflexive writing.  Frankly, learning about the history of education in Canada is mind blowing.  People came from overseas or migrated north to populate our beautiful land, to conquer and civilize it, maybe escape oppression from another country, or simply forge for the riches of a “new world.”  Unfortunately, this land was already spoken for, equity was overlooked, and the laws of discovery or manifest destiny were eventually forcefully applied.

Indigenous people and minorities suffered mistreatment while the government ignored basic humanity, floundering under nationalistic ideals perceived as superior or enlightened.  Antiquated divisions of hypocritic religious extremists sought to convert, silence, or punish conflicting perspectives to maintain the legitimacy of their own doctrine or simply justify the atrocities they committed.  Sadly, it appears mixing linguistic differences with a desire to preserve cultural identity, and adding the forementioned, breeds hardened hearts.  It is through these hearts that democracy and freedom of speech pervade reforms to serve one or more demographics over others.  Truly these issues sustained spirits of arrogance, jealously, contempt, and ignorance leading to repeated offenses by all parties involved.

I neglected these undertones of education before entering this program.  I figured educating would be more about the future instead of the past.  About molding lives today to create a better world tomorrow.  Arrogantly, I assumed history would not have any application besides reiterating the past. Therefore, history was exactly what it defined. History.  We live in the present right?  Don’t beliefs in nationalism relate to all our identities as Canadian citizens?  Aren’t we all working towards a better future for everyone?  Aren’t assimilation, segregation, and integration a history we escaped while racism, prejudice, and ignorance are the major challenges we face today?

The truth is, as I have learned over the last month, mistreated is an understatement,  history permeates the present, nationalism is tainted by the past, truth is still hidden by diffusion of responsibility,  language and culture don’t only define us, they refine us and the challenges we faced back then are still the challenges we face today.  Fortunately, armed with the past, new theories of learning, powerful technology, and open hearts, educators are equipped to combat these challenges by leveraging their unique position provincially, to impact our communities personally.

Significantly then, the most influential reading I have done to date was written by Parker J, Palmer in The Courage to Teach.  In particular, the first chapter regarding the identity and integrity of a teacher.  Palmer considers the idea that we teach who we are.  He postulates that if our teaching is misaligned with our identity, little integrity is observed.  More generally,  if our actions are contrary to our supposed identity, misalignment occurs and becomes evident.  I believe this is true not only for teachers as learners and leaders, but for everyone.  As Dustin Louie notes, when personal truths are in violation of presented evidence, and we choose to ignore said evidence to uphold personal truths, cognitive dissonance results.  Besides misalignment of identity, cognitive dissonance creates uncomfortable emotions and may undermine any motivation to change.  Because we know that good learning stems from a combination of cognition, motivation, and emotion, there cannot be any good learning if cognitive dissonance is present. Therefore, any misalignment in identity must erode integrity because of the unwillingness to change, adapt or accept truth.  Without going into detail about truthfully true knowledge, it seems obvious then that the best teachers, learners, and leaders are fluent in change, adaptation, and acceptance.

Considering the importance of identity and integrity elucidates why the development of education in Canada was met with multiple acts and reforms. Specifically, why it has taken so many years to effect meaningful, lasting programs.  Canada is defined by multitudinous identities.  Religion, race, ideology, language, culture, history, political beliefs etcetera, all mixed in various proportions.  How can integrity be upheld when there is considerable variance of identities in Canada?  The old answer to this question was assimilation, segregation, integration, or genocide.  Institute systems that promote the development of conformity and restrict freedom and allow for some deviancy to keep up with appearances; hide the rest.  Strip the people of their identities, then help fabricate new ones.  Problem solved.  That is unless the people survive, they fight for their identities, and they keep fighting for centuries until their resiliency prevails.

Enter First Peoples Principles of Learning, decolonization of classrooms, indigenization of curriculum and updated professional standards of education.  Valuable steps, not only toward deepening our understanding of Truth and Reconciliation but designing an education system that values diversity instead of just accepting it.  An institution that promotes inclusion by design, not obligation.  A country that recognizes the significance of every life by its commitment to learn, adapt and accept the importance of keeping identity aligned to preserve integrity.